Listen to the audio version of episode #005
Watch the video version of episode #005
Have you ever thought about owning your own business? How about doing so right out of college? Joining us today is Kelsey Lensman, founder of KML Movement.
Kelsey shares her journey from athletic training as an undergraduate to running her own athletic training and performance business. Kelsey is a licensed athletic trainer as well as a certified personal trainer.
In this episode, Kelsey Lensman offers her experience with being an undergraduate at Ohio State University.
Kelsey shares her insights on working as a trainer for numerous college athletic teams. We also dig deep into how and why Kelsey started KML Movement.
In this episode we discuss...
- Show Introduction [0:01]
- Introducing Our Guest [0:18]
- How Did a 4-Wheeling Accident Change Your Path? [1:35]
- Applying for College [7:27]
- Did You Know Going in You Wanted to Do Athletic Training? [8:09]
- Working with University Teams [9:59]
- What Do You Wish You Would Have Known Going into College? [11:13]
- Any other Internship Experiences? [15:21]
- Plans After Graduation [16:38]
- Have You Always Been an Entrepreneur? [19:48]
- Friends and Family’s Reaction to Starting Your Own Business [21:37]
- Graduate School and Knowing What’s Right for You [24:10]
- Advice to College Students in Athletic Training [27:12]
- Connect with Kelsey [30:31]
- Closing Thoughts [30:58] Outro [32:08]
- No resources mentioned during this interview
Kelsey Lensman, ATC, BSAT is the CEO of KML Movement, LLC and is a certified and licensed athletic trainer in Ohio. She holds a degree in Athletic Training from The Ohio State University. She is accredited as a certified personal trainer and correctives exercise specialist from the National Academy of Sports Medicine. She is also certified in Reflexive Performance Reset-Level 1 and Integrated Kinetic Neurology Level-1. She currently provides both in-person and online training for lifestyle and competition clients, along with on-site corporate fitness classes and sport performance for younger athletes.
She has worked clinically with multiple sports teams at The Ohio State University along with high school teams consisting of injury prevention, rehabilitation, and evaluation. She has interned at multiple different strength and conditioning facilities locally focusing on sport performance. She has also interned at two different sport performance facilities here in Columbus, Ohio, as well as recently being the head sport performance coach for all Bo Jackson’s Elite Sports travel softball teams. She also actively teaches corporate leadership events for the Sports Leadership Centers of America.
She actively competes in bodybuilding, power-building, power-lifting, and additional fitness based events locally and nationally. In her free time she volunteers at the Dream Center to serve and is very passionate about giving back to the community.
Her intense passion is to help individuals unleash their full potential both inside and outside of the gym by being the hybrid of sports medicine and fitness. She also is very intentional about living her life in a way that sets the example for younger girls and instilling values in the mat a young age. With her background in sports medicine her primary focus is incorporating foundational principles to improve their health and fitness in a safe and optimal way. She believes education and knowledge should be the foundation of training in order to prevent injuries and set individuals up for success. With helping people improve physical health and mental outlook she aims to positively impact lives to show them that they are capable of so much more than they thought possible.
Credentials & Awards
- The Ohio State University, B.S. Athletic Training (Magna Cum Lade)
- Certified and Licensed Ohio Athletic Trainer (ATC)
- National Academy of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer (NASM – CPT)
- National Academy of Sports Medicine Certified Correctives Exercise Specialist (NASM – CES)
- Reflexive Performance Reset-Level 1 Certified (RPR Level-1)
- CPR, AED, and First Response Certified
- Content Creator for KML Movement, LLC
- NPC Bodybuilding Competitor: 3 shows in 2017, 2 shows in 2018
- Ohio Powerbuilding Association Competitor: 1 show in 2018
- Powerlifting Competitor – Fall 2018: All-In Push/Pull Meet (Girls Overall Champion), OSG-NP Push/Pull Meet (2nd in Class), UPSA Great Lakes Raw by Iron Rebel (2nd Place in 48kg weight class)
- Obstacle Course: DRX Obstacle Course - Fall 2019 (1st Overall Champion - Women's)
- Pelotonia Bike Race 25 miles - Fall 2019
- Half Marathon - Nationwide Children's Columbus Half Marathon - Fall 2019
- 2018: All-In Push/Pull Meet
Want to connect with Kelsey?
Ryan has been heavily involved in the world of Information Technology and entrepreneurship since the early 2000s. From small business consulting to Fortune 500 IT leadership, Ryan has a wide array of tech industry knowledge. Ryan has his BBA and MBA from the University of Iowa. Connect with Ryan on Twitter or Instagram.