Listen to the audio version of episode #004
Watch the video version of episode #004
Being a student athlete brings a whole new level to the undergraduate experience. Our guest today shares his experience being a student athlete. Joining us today is Brogan Austin, who is an elite distance runner.
Brogan shares his experience being a student athlete and how he made it work. We dig into some of Brogan’s past and talk about when he realized that running was a big part of his life.
In this episode, Brogan Austin shares his recruitment process and the transition from high school to college athlete. Brogan provides helpful tips on how he prioritized his sport and his studies allowing him to maintain a high GPA.
Brogan offers insight into the world of a student athlete and even shares some advice for current college students.
In this episode we discuss...
- Show Introduction [0:01]
- Introducing Our Guest [0:18]
- Rewind and Reflect on Younger Years [3:07]
- Success in High School [6:21]
- How Were You Recruited? [8:01]
- Track and Cross Country at Drake [10:24]
- Time for Studies [11:10]
- Finding Internships [13:11]
- What Was Your Biggest Challenge? [20:03]
- How Do You Move on From a Bad Race, Workout, or Work Experience? [23:28]
- Setting Goals, Bucket Lists, and Reflection [26:37]
- Is it Overwhelming Having So Many Goals? [29:58]
- Piece of Advice to College Students Who May Be Struggling? [31:15]
- Closing Thoughts and Where to Find Brogan [34:40]
- Outro [36:43]
- 3x state champion
- 6x Division I Conference champion
- Conference MVP
- Drake University Most Valuable Athlete
- NCAA Division I National Qualifier
- US marathon National Champion
- 3x President's list
- 3.76 GPA in Mathematics
- 3.8 GPA in Master of Business Administration
- Academic All-American
- Wells Fargo Intern - Product Manager
- Drake University Athletic Department intern - wrote Marketing Campaigns
- United States Olympic Training Center Intern - Sports Science Research
- Project Manager
Want to connect with Brogan?
Ryan has been heavily involved in the world of Information Technology and entrepreneurship since the early 2000s. From small business consulting to Fortune 500 IT leadership, Ryan has a wide array of tech industry knowledge. Ryan has his BBA and MBA from the University of Iowa. Connect with Ryan on Twitter or Instagram.