Listen to the audio version of episode #024
Watch the video version of episode #024
During this episode, we discuss the topic of networking with Jacob Ellis. Jacob is the Coordinator of Undergraduate Education for the Delta Tau Delta Fraternity.
In this episode we discuss:
- [2:00] What was Jacob's college career like, and what's he up to today
- [5:05] How would Jacob describe what a network is
- [6:39] What kind of things should people do to establish their professional network?
- [9:57] What should people do after they initially make new connections?
- [12:48] How can someone track their network to stay organized?
- [14:56] How can someone avoid making their network too one-sided?
- [17:06] Has Jacob been able to strike a balance between helping his network without jeopardizing his existing commitments?
- [20:05] Once you have a network, what's the best way to utilize your network for everyday life?
- [26:50] How to avoid taking rejection personally
- [28:50] What is an example day look like for Jacob on how utilizes his own network?
- [32:15] Ideas on how to make it a habit to reach out to your network
- [39:45] Advice for college students on the best place to start with building a network
- [41:10] Best way to connect with Jacob
- [42:18] Ryan's final thoughts
- No resources discussed
Jacob Ellis, Coordinator of Undergraduate Education for the Delta Tau Delta International Fraternity
Jacob Ellis is passionate about the fraternity experience helping men become authentic and just leaders. He earned his master’s degree in higher education from Florida State University where he had an assistantship in the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. He gained valuable experience interning for the Leadership Learning Research Center national Greek conferences, fraternity and sorority consulting firms, and facilitating various educational programs.
Ellis earned a bachelor’s degree in organizational leadership from Purdue University, where he was awarded homecoming king in 2015. While at Purdue he joined Delta Upsilon International Fraternity and held several offices within his chapter including president, vice president of loss prevention, new member educator and community service chairman.
He currently serves Delta Tau Delta's Central Office as the Coordinator of Undergraduate Education and Dyad Strategies as a member of their facilitation team.
Outside of his career, Jacob loves going to CrossFit, analyzing rap lyrics and eating ice cream.
Want to connect with Jacob?
Ryan has been heavily involved in the world of Information Technology and entrepreneurship since the early 2000s. From small business consulting to Fortune 500 IT leadership, Ryan has a wide array of tech industry knowledge. Ryan has his BBA and MBA from the University of Iowa. Connect with Ryan on Twitter or Instagram.