Listen to the audio version of episode #019
Watch the video version of episode #019
We dive into accounting careers today. To help me do this, I'm joined by CPA and Partner at Measured Results CPAs, Tyler McBroom.
In this episode we discuss:
- [1:12] Was Tyler always interested in accounting?
- [3:22] Did starting out in a non-accounting field initially help Tyler bring a different perspective to his family's accounting practice?
- [4:04] What does Tyler enjoy about accounting?
- [5:42] How do you balance your business work schedule with your family?
- [8:42] What do you see as the difference between public and private accounting careers?
- [10:33] What's the transition look like from public to private accounting or the other way around?
- [12:44] Does Tyler see formal education as always being critical for the accounting field?
- [15:10] How important is it to specalize in a specific area of accounting versus being a jack of all trades?
- [18:14] Are soft skills important for employees at Tyler's firm?
- [20:40] What should candidates ask a company when interviewing for a position?
- [22:38] Do you see the hours people work in the accounting industry as becoming more flexible and is virtual becoming more common?
- [25:57] Do you need a CPA license to have a good accounting career?
- [27:32] Tyler's final piece of advice for accounting students or recent grads.
Tyler McBroom, Partner at Measured Results CPA Firm
Tyler McBroom helps business owners to increase their cash flow by thousands of dollars per year through proactive tax planning strategies and getting their books on auto-pilot. His firm was recently named an Intuit Firm of the Future and one of the Top 100 Firms to Work For in the US by Accounting Today.
Tyler has a passion for teaching others; he is a contributor to Forbes, shares tax & business tips daily on his various social media channels, and has written several articles for Intuit's Tax Pro Center.
Want to connect with Tyler?
- Instagram - @tylermcbroom
- Measured Results CPA - Website
- Video that Tyler recorded for Intuit on Payroll: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/payroll/what-is-payroll/
Ryan has been heavily involved in the world of Information Technology and entrepreneurship since the early 2000s. From small business consulting to Fortune 500 IT leadership, Ryan has a wide array of tech industry knowledge. Ryan has his BBA and MBA from the University of Iowa. Connect with Ryan on Twitter or Instagram.