Listen to the audio version of episode #012
Watch the video version of episode #012
Starting your career can be both exciting and intimidating. In this episode, I offer practical tips to those of you taking new steps in your career.
You might be a recent college graduate entering the workforce for the first time or considering graduate school. Maybe you recently decided to pivot your career towards unknown terrain. Perhaps you are simply anticipating one of these steps.
Wherever you happen to be in your career, my practical advice in this episode can help you take your next steps with confidence.
In this episode we discuss...
- Do not stress. You always have the opportunity to pivot your career. [01:44]
- Slow down. You can hustle, but don’t race. [04:08]
- Complete a self-assessment. Soft skills help you stand out in job applications. [05:09]
- Focus on the process and not the event. [08:12]
- Recap [14:16]
- “You’re all going to be very similar with respect to your technical skills or industry-specific skills, but where you’re going to be able to stand out is with those soft skills.” [06:37]
- “Our culture rewards the event, but you need to focus on the process.” [08:23]
*No guest during this episode
Ryan has been heavily involved in the world of Information Technology and entrepreneurship since the early 2000s. From small business consulting to Fortune 500 IT leadership, Ryan has a wide array of tech industry knowledge. Ryan has his BBA and MBA from the University of Iowa. Connect with Ryan on Twitter or Instagram.